Monday, April 22, 2013

I was hooked on a drug...


and that drug was sugar. I say was because I'm currently trying to detox from it and get this terrible addiction under control. I have read a lot about sugar addiction. I have detoxed several times before, but those detoxes always included dairy, alcohol, sugar, processed junk and meat. After each detox I always felt amazing, but slowly let the sugar and other things creep back in. 

Easter nearly broke me this year. I was at work for four 10 hour shifts and surrounded by chocolate. I lost control and felt absolutely terrible by the end of it. I decided then to do something about it.

So here's week one of my sugar detox, loosely based on Sarah Wilson's "I Quit Sugar" book. I jumped straight into week 3 and cut all fructose out of my diet, including fruit.


Scared but inspired I start Day 1 with no fructose. I made it through fairly easily and felt quite good at the end. I was hunting for sweets after dinner so made myself a fructose free hot chocolate which really helped

 
Day 2 again was easy enough and I was really enjoying trying to make my meals a little more varied and healthy each day. Lunch today was roasted beetroot and pumpkin with green beans and grilled haloumi. So delicious. I'm having to get my head around adding more fat into my diet but loving it.

Little sweet treats like this really helped. This is natural peanut butter, rice malt syrup, cacao powder and shredded coconut. So delicious with a hot cuppa!



Day 3 and I'm feeling the detox today!! A constant headache and the feeling of being cold to the core. I combatted this by eating, eating, and drinking a lot of tea and water. By the end of the day I felt a little better. I went to bed hoping it wasn't going to last long but knew it was part of the dtox that just had to be ridden out.


Lunch today consited of steamed brocoli, grilled haloumi with cracked pepper and lemon. It was delicious and really made me feel better.

Day 4: My headache is gone but I still feel cold. I had to say no to pavlova and birthday cake tonight which was hard but I felt great afterwards not caving in


Day 5: I know why they do it but it still always amazes me why people need to be so negative when others try and change for the better. Anyway I feel great today. 


Today I made up a new batch of coconutty granola with a chocolatey twist and it was divine! 

Day 6: I'm feeling really great. No cravings at all. I feel full when I eat and content. After dinner my head is still telling me to go and look for some sugar {from habit} but my body truly doesn't care for it. I resisted lollies and birthday cake at a party today VERY easily.



So there you have Week 1 done and dusted!! I am feeling great and hopefully I can continue

Shan x
Pin It

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...